During the 2022 Colorado legislative session, Senate Bill 22-068 was passed to increase health care payment transparency. The bill requests CIVHC, administrator of the Colorado All Payer Claims Database (CO APCD), to create a public report that displays payments made to Colorado health care providers for CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) codes and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) codes by county, Division of Insurance (DOI) Region, and statewide. The report includes the following:
- All current (effective in 2021) CPT codes and HCPCS with sufficient volume (statewide claim volume of 30 or more) for 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- Payer breakouts for Commercial, Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Fee-for-Service.
- Total allowed amounts (payer and patient payments combined) at the 25th, 50th, 60th, and 75th percentile, and average total allowed amounts.
- Anesthesiology payment calculations (see below for details).
View Senate Bill 22-068 for more information.
- The analysis includes all public and private health insurance payers submitting data to the Colorado All Payer Claims Database (CO APCD), which represents the majority of covered lives (70% of medically insured) in the state. The CO APCD does not include roughly half of the self-insured employer covered lives and does not include federal programs such as Tricare, Indian Health Services and the VA.
- This analysis is based on fee-for-service payments only and does not include supplemental payments, capitated payments or payments made through Alternative Payment Models (APMs).
- The data only includes payments for in-network providers for commercial, Medicaid and Medicare Advantage claims. Medicare FFS data in the CO APCD does not indicate in- vs. out-of-network providers, and therefore may include some out-of-network payments.
- Payments represent total allowed amounts (plan and patient paid) for the professional/provider portion of the claim only. Payments do not include any facility fees or other payments that may have been billed for the service.