Updated December 3, 2012
The launch of Colorado's All Payer Claims Database brought local and national attention to our state, recognizing an important milestone achievement along the journey toward health care improvement.
In 2008, Colorado's bipartisan Blue Ribbon Commission on Health Care released their report recommending the development of an All Payer Claims Database as a "first step" towards the goal of better health, better care and lower cost. The first round of claims data feeds from health plans were received in April 2012, and in seven short months the data analytics, website portal and initial reports were created and released to the public.
Colorado deserves recognition for this new resource that provides cost and utilization transparency for health care to support improvement. Here's a running list of the local and national coverage that CIVHC is aware of to date. If you have seen a piece on the APCD that we've missed, please email us so we can add it to our inventory.
- Denver Business Journal: Website aims to bring down Colorado health care costs, November 1
- Denver Post: Harsh new spotlight on Colorado health prices promises change, November 1
- Health Policy Solutions: New data tool finds health costs vary wildly, November 1
- Modern Healthcare: New Colo. claims database offers look at procedure prices, November 1
- America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP): Denver Post: New Database Will Shine a Harsh Spotlight on Health Price Differences, November 2
- Colorado Public Radio/Kaiser Health News: The Price Is Right There In Front Of You, In Colorado At Least, November 2
- Health Law and Policy: Colorado's All Payer Claims Database goes live (headline in their e-newsletter, no link available), November 2
- iHealthbeat: New Colorado Database Offers Cost Information for Health Care Services, November 2
- National Association of Health Data Organizations: Colorado's All Payer Claims Database Now Available to Support Improving Care and Reducing Costs in Colorado, November 2
- David Williams, Health Business Blog: All Payer Claims Database launches in Colorado, November 1
- Colorado Public News, Anne Imse: Healthcare Pricing Edges Closer, November 1
- Ned Calonge, Health Policy Solutions: Opinion: Data and quality measures essential for better health care, November 2
- David Napoli, OccupyHealthcare: The Quantified State, November 5
- Phil Kalin, The Colorado Health Foundation, Health Relay Blog & CIVHC blog/e-newsletter: All Payer Claims Database Debut Supports Colorado’s Health Care Journey, November 8
- Denver Business Journal, Bill Lindsay, Lockton Companies: New Database Will Identify Health Care Cost Info, November 9
- State and Local Connection, Krisa Tailor: All-Payer Claims Databases set stage for data-driven healthcare and big analytics, November 28